செய்யக்கூடியவைகள் மற்றும் செய்யக்கூடாதவைகள் – வெப்ப அலை
Heat Wave conditions
- can result in physiological strain, which could even result in death.
- To minimize the impact during the heat wave and to prevent serious ailment or death because of heat stroke, you can take the following measures:
- Avoid going out in the sun, especially between 12.00 noon and 3.00 p.m.
- Drink sufficient water and as often as possible, even if not thirsty
- Wear lightweight, light-coloured, loose, and porous cotton clothes. Use protective goggles, umbrella/hat, shoes or chappals while going out in sun.
- Avoid strenuous activities when the outside temperature is high. Avoid working outside between 12 noon and 3 p.m.
- While travelling, carry water with you.
- Avoid alcohol, tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks, which dehydrates the body.
- Avoid high-protein food and do not eat stale food.
- If you work outside, use a hat or an umbrella and also use a damp cloth on your head, neck, face and limbs
- Do not leave children or pets in parked vehicles
- If you feel faint or ill, see a doctor immediately.
- Use ORS, homemade drinks like lassi, torani (rice water), lemon water, buttermilk, etc. which helps to re-hydrate the body.
- Keep animals in shade and give them plenty of water to drink.
- Keep your home cool, use curtains, shutters or sunshade and open windows at night.
- Use fans, damp clothing and take bath in cold water frequently.
TIPS FOR TREATMENT OF A PERSON AFFECTED BY A SUNSTROKE:
- Lay the person in a cool place, under a shade. Wipe her/him with a wet cloth/wash the body frequently. Pour normal temperature water on the head. The main thing is to bring down the body temperature.
- Give the person ORS to drink or lemon sarbat/torani or whatever is useful to rehydrate the
- Take the person immediately to the nearest health centre. The patient needs immediate hospitalization, as heat strokes could be fatal.