Inspired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister’s impetus on Jal Sanchay, Government of India has launched the Jal Shakti Abhiyan (JSA) to revive India back to a sustained system of water conservation. Jal Shakti Abhiyan (JSA) is a time-bound campaign with a mission mode approach intended to improve conditions in around 1500 Blocks that are drought-affected, water-stressed or over-exploited falling in 256 districts with water conservation-related programmes. JSA is planned to be carried out in two phases. Phase I will be carried out between July 1 and September 15, 2019, for all States. For States / UTs with retreating monsoon, the campaign shall be carried out between October 2 and November 30, 2019.
Action Taken by the District Administration
In line with the above, the district administration, Karaikal, Puducherry UT is urged to treat save water on high priority. District Administration has studied carefully and surveys the traditional surface water storages. As a next step, drew an Action Plan with concrete, measurable outcomes and implement the project named as “NAM NEER” under the personal supervision of the District Collector.
There are three projects is evolved by the district administration with an aim to save water conservation. They are Intensive Afforestation Drive, NAM Neer and Solid Waste Management. Through which Community mobilization of Plantation of traditional trees, desilting of village water bodies and solid waste management may be carried out.
The target is fixed that there are about 36,000 traditional varieties of trees to be planted and more than 100 ponds may be desilted through which one Trillion litres of water is stored during the monsoon within the district.
Area of Intervention and list of activities
|SL.NO||Area of Intervention||List of Activities|
|1||Water conservation and rainwater harvesting||
|2||Renovation of traditional and other water bodies / tanks||
Action Highlights :
- Action is studied with the guidance of the Central Pollution Control Board.
- Village wise waterbodies are surveyed, identified and published in the district website.
- Planting of traditional varieties of trees.
- As like Community Social Responsibility (CSR) Fund, Employee Social Responsibility (ESR) Fund is started.
- As a pioneer, the Government machinery is adopted ponds for the desilting work.
- Encourage Public Participation, Student Participation which leads to strengthening the community ownership.
- Taking into consideration of the sustainability of the hardships, a team is formed for each pond in a combination of SHG of the own Village, NSS students of the own Villages and Self Interested Group like Lion Club, Rotract Club, etc., to maintain.
The interest of Elected Members :
The Honourable Chief Minister of Puducherry UT Mr. Narayanasamy, Honourable Minister of Education Mr.R.Kamalakannan and the sitting Members of Legislative Assembly (MLAs) of this district are being shown a keen interest and provide continuous support and guidance to the district administration for making the project to success.
Invite Public :
The district administration invites the public those who are interested to adopt your ponds to desilt. They will meet the district Collector at his chamber on all working days between 05:00 PM to 06 PM. The district administration gives full support to them at all levels.